UP AND RUNNING

  BLOGGING 101:  Off to a Fine Start

For years, I resisted starting a blog.  Blogging was for people who didn't have a life or people full of self-importance--those seeking their fifteen minutes of fame. I guess it's the contrarion in me, preferring to buck trends rather than join them, or at least delay the inevitable.. 

It seems to me  that we've reached the point where, when it comes to things technological, choice is no longer ours. Technology drives our choices, not the other way around.  So it was with computers, the internet, cell phones, smart phones, i-phones, CD's and DVD's and a host of other tech gadgets that keep us connected, or disconnected as the case may be.

 And there was the other argument:  did I really need this, and, if so, why?  Here again, I had no choice.  I'm a writer, and if I want to advance, if I want to attract agents or publishers, I have to create a "platform" and get up on it and holler my praises to the world at large, and not so large, in order to drive "traffic" to my blog and, hopefully, someone out there will notice.

As with everything else, I finally had to submit.  After all, writers have ideas and what good is an idea if it can't be shared?  What good is anything, really, if it can't be shared?

It's a Set-Up

Everyone said it was easy - that any fool could set up a blog and I half believed them.  My saner half said proceed with caution and don't wander into foreign territory without a companion for back-up.  That's where my friend Cynthia came in.  Having been down this road before, she had my back; therefore, everything would go smoothly - or so we thought.  But after registering a blog on one site and failing to be able to retrieve it, we abandoned that trip and moved on to this destination.  

Needless to say, we landed in deep water once again.  Where was the dashboard?  Where the hell did the home page go?   Finally, after hours arguing with formats and a few side trips - one for lunch (enticing Cynthia with the smell of lasagna wafting from the kitchen) and after much foot stomping and head scratching, we were exhausted, but the blessed blog was ready to go.

What's It All About?

Now that I'm up and running and ready to launch my thoughts into the wide wide world, what's it all about?  Very simply, things that me stop and think:

  • Why is this happening?
  • What's behind it?
  • Who is responsible for this and that?
And most of all:  What can I do about it?  In most cases, not much, but that shouldn't stop me. At least now I have a voice and also a forum in which to be heard.

There are a million questions to ponder, no shortage of things to talk about - some that bug me, others that enrage me, some that scream for justice, and others that evoke laughter or joy. Unfortunately, there's a plethora of the former and so few of the latter, so you have to look harder to uncover those precious morsels, but I'd like to try.  No subject is too big or too small.  Nothing is off the table.

So, if you have anything you'd like to share, please join me on this journey of discovery.  Let's uncover some answers together. 







No comments:

Post a Comment