Writing Doesn’t Have To Be a Chore


I'm always interested to learn how other writers approach their work and what tricks of the trade I can apply to my own writing. 

I'd also like to share the things I've learned over the past few months while working on my own manuscript. Although this work is non-fiction, the same techniques apply to any writing.
  1. Don't tackle too much at once. Break it down into small chunks and you accomplish more.
  2. Don't be rigid in your approach. You don't have to write sequentially, i.e. in a straight line from beginning to end.
  3. Make a timeline for your story. Should you wander off the path, you can use it as a roadmap. As long as you have an outline, or even a chapter summary, write sections as they come to you.
  4. If you don't feel like writing, try something else. There's nothing worse than a forced effort. Remember that 250 stellar words are worth more than a 1,000 that you have to discard. Do research or a bit of editing. Even tidying up your desk is beneficial to clearing your head.
    A walk is even better.
  5. Always carry a note book. Inspiration, I find, strikes at odd moments when you least expect it.
  6. Don't feel guilty for abandoning your work for the necessities of life. Set goals for the day, but be realistic. You also have to plan for life's tasks, because few of us have the luxury of large chunks of time to devote to ourselves. My husband's work schedule varies widely, so I've learned to plan around it. This guarantees time spent with him as well as time to myself where I can truly concentrate without interruption.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment